On Sunday (Day 8 of my December gratitude project), my son and I had a fun little Christmas shopping date. We took a quick bus ride down Portage to DeLuca’s Specialty Food Store to procure some gifts and stocking stuffers for some of our loved ones who are food enthusiasts. We had a great time wandering through the aisles looking at interesting products and drooling over the many, many choices.
This reminded me of the many other independent stores that I’m grateful for here in Winnipeg – just off the top of my head:
- The Scoop n’ Weigh – I could spend hours & hours here, looking at all the interesting food products and kitchenware. And I’ve said it a few times on Twitter, but I’ll say it again: Scoop n Weigh has the best email newsletter I’ve ever received, hands down.
- Toad Hall Toys – my kids are at prime birthday party age, so it seems we are there a couple times a month to pick up gifts! Wonderful staff, interesting games & toys, and a great books section.
- McNally Robinson – a little piece of heaven on earth. I wish I lived closer so that I could also take advantage of all the incredible programming they offer.
- Tara Davis Studio – such a wonderful place for a local treasures, with ridiculously friendly service and beautiful, interesting items.
- Bikes & Beyond – I’m lucky enough to have a bike shop within a short walk of home – perfect for all our bike needs (and wants!) On a broader community level, I especially appreciate that Bikes & Beyond brings fat bikes to Elmwood Winter Fun Day every February!
What local businesses are you grateful for?