Manitoba the Bountiful

September 4th, 2009 by Emma Durand-Wood

The reality of our friend and fellow Wo’MHer Laurel’s departure is really beginning to sink in. We were lucky to spend a fair amount of time with her before she moved back west, and on her last night here, we presented her with a little farewell gift to remember Manitoba by…. a bagful of made-in-Manitoba (or at least, strong connection to Manitoba) treats, including:

To hold the bounty... this tote bag from Weirdos of Winnipeg

To hold the bounty... this tote bag from Weirdos of Winnipeg

We bundled it all up in a Weirdos of Winnipeg canvas bag and pinned on some cool Confusion Corner and Louis Riel buttons.

We had to make sure all the items would survive the drive to the Coast sans refrigeration, so cheese (New Bothwell, perhaps?), pretty much anything Peak of the Market, and frozen perogies were out of the question. We would have liked to add someย Pic a Pop and ManitoBars, in there, too, but we ran out of time to track them down ๐Ÿ™‚

While a couple of these items immediately came to mind, we turned to the Manitoba Food Processors Association’s Manitoba Made food guide to get more ideas. We’re not locavores by any stretch, but it did feel good to collect such a lovely bounty of locally-made food!

Hopefully I’ll get out to the Coast to visit Laurel before too long, and I’m sure I’ll lug along some more Half Pints, as this is my favourite Manitoba product to share with out-of-provincers.

What’s your favourite local food item? What do you like to get visitors to try when they visit?

13 Responses to “Manitoba the Bountiful”

1. nick w says:

Coffee — Black Pearl, 460 Dufferin Street
    Maybe a smoked goldeye from Lake Winnipeg.

But otherwise, you’ve got a good list there; they’re a lot of the things I try to pick up or indulge in when I come back to visit the folks. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. mrchristian says:

Lol ! A great going away gift. That could be a sideline business for you “The WoMH Manitoba Gift Bag”. I’ve had to throw together many a gift for speakers etc. at local events and always have trouble finding something local, and FUN !

If I need a local treat I love Morden’s Russian Mint chocolates. They’re on Sargent and I don’t go nearly as often since they moved from the Convention Centre. Mmmmm….

I know some people who are nuts for Clodhoppers. I like them but can only eat a little bit at a time. Warning: Don’t look at the caloric label !

3. Billy says:

– Ice Cream at BDI
    – Burgers at VJ’s
    – Pickerel… various restaurants
    – Hot Chocolate at Chocolatier Constance Pop

4. Dana says:

I like ply visitors with Half-Pints, Old Dutch Ketchup Chips and Dad’s Goodie Rings (which I could never find the four years I lived in Toronto).

5. mrchristian says:

Paulin’s Puffs cookies and Bothwell Cheese. Pic-a-Pop, too !

6. cherenkov says:

Not a food item, per se, but we like to take guests to the Fort Garry Sunday Buffet. One of the best and biggest anywhere.

Try sticking that in a tote bag. ๐Ÿ™‚

7. JB says:

I think that it is _shocking_ that nobody has mentioned the Jeannie’s Cake. Mmmm – love that shortbread crust.

I’m all about pastries. I also favour the cinnamon buns and the croissants from Tall Grass. Have a chocolate croissant from there and see if you can have a bad day. I dare you.

8. Sputnik says:

The Greetalia Honey Dill dipping sauce tastes nothing like the Honey Dill sauce you get at the local eateries around Winnipeg.

It isn’t nearly a creamy.

9. pic-a-pop!
    You can’t have a Manitoban goodie bag without it!

10. Carl Spackler says:

Perogies anyone? how bout some KUB bread, and maybe a Kolbasa in a cup?

11. John says:

Enquiring from California, are Paulins puffs still on the market? Anyone remember the Savory duck meat they sold in Eatons basement food floor or their Turkish Delights? We need homemade Manitoba perogies badly in Southern California,Costco can import them,old country Kubassa anyone

12. John says:

if you can find Goldeye in California restaurants, very rare, your probably looking at a $100 dollar menu item.

13. John says:

I need a real Winnipeg perogy fix not the frozen horror we get in Southern California.