Veggie Burger at the North Star Drive-In

March 22nd, 2009 by Emma Durand-Wood

Got some Twitter advice from Ace Burpee the other day: “North Star Drive-In opens today. 531 McGregor. Don’t eat meat? Anthony Augustine says they have the best veg burger in town. Boom.”

I’m always sceptical of “best in the city” claims. As you will learn in a forthcoming post, I was definitely let down by the such a claim made in reference to Mitzi’s chicken fingers. And Alycia’s, the Ukrainian restaurant across the street from the North Star, is regularly cited as having best best perogies in town (I’ve been, and it was good, but nothing better than Cheemos I’ve made at home).

Now, I’ve had a veggie burger at Stella’s, and it was pretty tasty, definitely the best I’ve had in a while. But other than that, I’ve maybe only had one or two other veggie burgers since I moved here.  In that regard, I’m not exactly qualified to assign superlatives to  any particular dining establishment, but I’m always up for the challenge. Since I’m not a red meat-eater, and therefore can’t comment on the Fat Boy (Winnipeg’s signature burger, which I think is basically a sloppy joe in burger format – shudder), I will take one for the veggie team and start my quest for Winnipeg’s best veggie burger.

Anyway, spurred on by the tweet,  I decided to see taste for myself — does the North Star really have the “best veg burger in town”?  Yesterday was a gorgeous day here in the Peg, full of sunshine and the promise of spring. We made our way over the MacGregor and Cathedral, and found ourselves at a super cute, clean, friendly joint, with little yellow stars all over it and a family newsletter taped inside the order window. The staff were friendly and smiled a lot, to boot! We ordered our grub and ate outside at the picnic table next to the takeout window.

Well, Anthony Augustine, whoever you are, you’re a smart man. The veggie burger is definitely something to write home about. With a mild curry mayo sauce and a *delicious* legume-y, crispy patty, this is one I will be recommending to others for sure! Don’t know if it’s the best in the city, but I’d give it a 9/10. Homefries were awesome, too. My dining companion gives the bacon cheeseburger two thumbs up.

Can’t wait for my next trip to the North Star Drive-In. Who’s in?

18 Responses to “Veggie Burger at the North Star Drive-In”

1. Anny says:

Me! I love trying new restaurants.

Case in point – my meagerly kept site: http://www.dineoutwinnipeg.blogspot.com/

Loves of my Winnipeg restaurant life: Sa’aadal Kheyr (Somalian), In Ferno’s Bistro $ (Mediterranean/French Canadian), Cafe Dario $$ (Colombian, Japanese, International), Yuki Sushi, Tomato Pie Company $ (Italian), Ham’n’Eggs Grill (breakfast/burgers), Shawarma Time (Lebanese), India Palace $, Caribbean Spice, Chez Sophie $ (French/pizza), Pastry Castle (bakery)…

The list probably goes on, but those are my favourites.

Thanks, Anny! I’d love to see some more reviews at your blog! We’re always looking for recommendations from real people 😉 Also, glad to see you dig Shawarma Time – I’ve been meaning to try it out. I love me some good shawarma!!

Mmmmm…. quirky deli goodness! Sounds good to me!

4. Brenda says:

Hey, never found any good veggie burgers so good on ya. Also check out ambience at Albert Street Burgers, 58 Albert St, as you order in tiny take out space but eat in art gallery across the street. Too funny.

5. bert says:

for veggie burgers, try the sunburger, at the underground cafe in the exchange.

6. Dana says:

I’d have to say my favourite veggie burger in Winnipeg is the Sunburger from the Underground Cafe in the Exchange.

7. Jason says:

In my opinion, the best veggie burger in Winnipeg is served at the cafeteria at Great-West Life on Osbourne & Broadway. You gotta work there though. So probably not much point in me even mentioning it, but I just had to.

8. Anthony says:

i actually stumbled across post while looking up the address for the north star diner on google. glad you liked the burger. ace should have also mentioned that i give high marks to the veggie burger at the royal diner. their vegan fatboy rules too.

Anthony Augustine himself! I actually tried the veggie burger at the Royal a couple weeks ago – it was okay, but I liked the North Star one better. Will have to return for the vegan fatboy fo’ sho’!

10. Jesse Dyck says:

I’ve been wanting to try North Star, I’ve heard nothing but good about their veggie burger. However, my favourite veggie burger so far is hands down Baked Expectations. They also have amazingly tasty fries, and you can’t go wrong with the dessert selection!

Dana – our small group of friends has recently been talking about this Sunburger and the Underground Cafe in the Exchange District. I am thoroughly intrigued, and I can’t wait to try one now! Yum.

12. Brian says:

Cousins in Wolseley makes a pretty good veggie burger.

Hi Brian! You’re right…they do! Emma and I had the opportunity to enjoy the Cousins veggie burger during our Patio ‘Roundup for the Ceeb. Check it out here:
    We both opted for the extra hummus, but I also added the feta cheese.
    Pure Heaven.

14. JR says:

My 2 Cents

The Northstar is it for me.

I eat everything there, including the Veggie. I would say the best veggie, and beef burgers, in Winnipeg. Maybe the healthiest too, I feel good about eating there while I don’t about most other Burger places/joints here.

15. Alex says:

Northstar is open? I used to love that place until they started to get greedy.
    Their prices are out of control. $7 for a veggie burger on it’s own!? I live up the street from them (and grew up in that specific area) and that’s just suicide.

I know they try and act cute about it when you bring up how ridiculous their prices are, but I can go to Baked Expectations or Mondragon and get pretty awesome veggie burgers for way less – eat-in!
    (And free internet or fries on the side)

I wasn’t born yesterday and neither were the other people I spoke to who didn’t get anything. To be honest, Northstar is going to scare their customers away.

Ultimately, being a local business won’t sustain the cheap grab they’ve turned into. My wife and I stopped supporting them last year.

(Which is sad, because it was a great sunset walk!)

16. Anny says:

I’m updating my blog now!

I recently added Ethiopian samosas (similar in flavour to the Somalian ones) from 7×16 on Sargent Avenue. Also, I love going to La Grotta del Fromaggio for cheese and deli meats.

17. Jess says:

I just wanted to leave a bit more positive comment about the North Star, since I would say a few of the things posted about them are inaccurate.

A veggie burger and fries at baked expectations is $9.95 NOT including tax. http://www.bakedexpectations.ca/menus/yummy.php Your numbers are off, but besides just the prices, does baked expectations have three people making everything by hand? I highly doubt it.

If you want food made with love, go to the North Star. This is a family who try to know every single customer by name, and take pride in every order they send out. They care about the community, are very generous, and only raise prices when it is absolutely necessary.

Don’t worry Alex, the north star is more busy than ever, luckily your theory on customers getting scared away is completly inaccurate.

Cousin’s also has a tasty veggie burger, bit out of the way for me, but very tasty with interesting atmosphere.

18. Walter says:

I would have to say that I have yet to eat the veggie burger at The North Star, but We Winnipegers do have a wonderful source of food selection. Including Vegetarian and Vegan Delights. Places around Osbourne specialize in that kind of food because there are a lot of vegetarians and young people that eat there. Baked expectations also has a wicked Brushetta.